- We are created to partner with God; man was dubbed his legal representative in history. How can you proactively partner with the Lord in your life?
- We live in a world that has two realms: the natural (physical) realm and the invisible (spiritual) realm. Which realm are you most accustomed to? Have you been neglecting the reality of the other realm? Explain.
- Authority is based upon given position, and this position gives that person the right to rule within the limits and scope of a designated authority. Biblically explain what positions of authority you are currently in.
- One of the most powerful witnesses to a lost and dying world is to see African Americans, Caucasians, Asians, Latinos, Sudanese, and Irish come together in the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the local assembly. How would this affect our city?
- We want to display a beauty of ethnic harmony consistent with the Kingdom of God. What steps can we take to be grow in this area?
- Biblically, the wall of hostility has been broken down through the gospel. What can you practically do to live in an understanding way with those from different ethnic backgrounds?
- A worldview is a “total life system”. A Christian worldview is based on God’s nature, and that He has revealed an absolute and unchanging standard of right and wrong. Have you ever struggled with this? Explain.
- The supernatural act of reading the Word is a reliance on God the Father, and the Spirit, and Christ Jesus. What does it look like for you to read the Bible with supernatural assistance?
- Why do you think many Christians do not regularly read their Bibles? Can you relate?
Read an article from The Gospel Coalition
Let’s Be Honest: Reasons Why We Don’t Read Our Bibles
- Humility is defined as a person’s simple consent to let God be everything. Where are you fighting the against the Lord in your life? Explain.
- The path to the higher life is lower down. If you were to liken your life unto a river, is it river high or low? Explain.
- Humility before God is nothing if it isn’t proved by humility before men. Where is a servant heart missing before people in your life?
- In the book Bowling Alone, author Robert Putnam said the greatest social epidemic in American life is loneliness. Do you agree? Explain.
- Experience teaches us why the one-another ministry is a necessary partner with preaching because the impulse to disappear in the crowd is very strong. How have you seen this play out?
- In what ways does living in community cause us to be more like Jesus?
- You are a part of God’s great movement on the earth, the church. How would you describe why the church is here?
- Jesus takes pride in His church, and knows the intentions of our hearts. Do we judge people according to their actions or give them the benefit of the doubt? Explain.
- Why do you think God has City Central Church here today?
- Parables reveal truth to the hungry and expose the unbelief of the hard hearted. How would you describe the condition of your heart: hardened, shallow, worldly, or fruitful?
- The expectation of every believer is that they would bear fruit abundantly according to Mark 4:20 and Matthew 13:23. Are you bearing fruit? Explain.
- We are called to proclaim the gospel and teach the Word of God. The results will vary according to the condition of the hearts of the hearers. Who are you wanting to be more strategic with in your sowing?
Use the links below as resources in your prayer life:
- Power Through Prayer
- The Prayer Hand
- 10 Prayers to Strengthen Our Inner Man
- Fellowshipping with the Holy Spirit
- Jesus had deep love for Simon and the prostitute woman. Is there anyone that you have a hard time showing the love of Jesus toward? Explain.
- The one who has been forgiven much loves much. How long has it been since you have wept and been blown away by tearful appreciation? Has your Christianity become dry eyed and cold hearted?
- Confession of sin means to say the same thing that God does about that sin. Do you regularly, with thoughtfulness, ask the Lord to search your heart and expose every wicked way in you (Proverbs 28:13)? Explain.
1. Happiness depends on happenings, joy depends on Christ. Where have you been placing your hope? In circumstances changing or in the unchangeable truth of who Christ is? Explain.
1. You are only as free as your mind is. What we meditate on is what we become. Take a minute for self-analysis asking, “How free is my mind? Am I regularly taking thoughts captive or are they going unchecked? What’s the fruit of these thoughts?”
1. We’ve all experienced the pain of being brokenhearted. Marriages struggle, loved ones pass away, people get sick, businesses go under, jobs are lost, and dreams die. Not one gets through life unaffected by pain and heartache. What is one way you’ve experienced heartache?
1. Bitterness is a very real and dangerous heart condition that many people don’t like to acknowledge. Without rationalizing things, do you find yourself living in a level of isolation? Dealing with eruptions of anger? Having a difficult time trusting others? Share with your group.
1. Tragic memories have a way of guiding our lives and shaping our future. The enemy puts shame on the things he wants to keep in the darkness. Do you know someone who has been liberated by bringing something hidden to light? If you need to bring something out of hiding, share with a trusted friend or elder so that grace can flow over your life.
1. Have you experienced something that was devastating in your life? What have you done with the pain from that event?