This week, Pastor Chris brought our Galatians series to a close. Chris shared about the Father’s heart that always longs and desires to restore and mend unto wholeness. God will put His finger on areas of our life in order to heal us – the question is whether we want Him to heal and restore His way. In Galatians we have learned that we partner with the Lord in our restoration, and that when we yield to the Holy Spirit’s work on our lives, we will be set free to live free.
Burden Lifter or Burden Giver
Galatians 6:1–2 (ESV)
1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Mark 10:51 (ESV)
51 And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.”
One Another Passages
Unity. 33% deal with the unity of the church.
Be at peace with one another (Mk 9:50).
Love. 33% instruct Christians to love one another.
Humility. 15% stress an attitude of humility among believers.
Give preference to one another in honor (Ro 12:10).
Here’s the rest:
- Do not judge one another, and don’t put a stumbling block in a brother’s way (Ro 14:13).
- Greet one another with a kiss (Ro 16:16; 1 Co 16:20; 2 Co 13:12).
- Husbands and wives: don’t deprive one another of physical intimacy (1 Co 7:5).
- Bear one another’s burdens (Ga 6:2).
- Speak truth to one another (Ep 4:25).
- Don’t lie to one another (Co 3:9).
- Comfort one another concerning the resurrection (1 Th 4:18).
- Encourage and build up one another (1 Th 5:11).
- Stimulate one another to love and good deeds (He 10:24).
- Pray for one another (Jas 5:16).
- Be hospitable to one another (1 Pe 4:9).
- Love one another by lifting others’ burdens.
Self-Deceived or Self-Aware
Galatians 6:3-4 (ESV)
3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor.
Luke 3:16 (ESV)
16 John answered them all, saying, “I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
John 3:30 (ESV)
30 He must increase, but I must decrease.”
Greedy or Generous
Galatians 6:5-6 (ESV)
5 For each will have to bear his own load. 6 Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches.
You Will Harvest What You Plant
Galatians 6:7 (ESV)
7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
Job 4:8 (ESV)
8 As I have seen, those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same.
Proverbs 1:31–33 (ESV)
31 therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devices. 32 For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; 33 but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”
Galatians 6:8 (ESV)
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
“Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a lifestyle; sow a lifestyle, reap a destiny.”
Encourage the Discouraged
Galatians 6:9–10 (ESV)
9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. 10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
1. How would you describe a Christian who is living set free?
2. How do we partner with the Lord in our restoration process?
2. What are some reasons a believer would choose not to be restored in a specific area?
3. When was the last time you were restored in a specific area of your life? Share with the group.
1. Do you need people to bear your burdens with you? Is there anyone who comes to mind that you could help lift a burden? Call them this week!
2. Is the Lord putting His finger on any areas of your life that need healing? Get prayer with a mentor this week to begin the restoration process!