This week, guest preacher Steve Williams preached a powerful word on cultivating a prophetic culture. Steve Williams is part of the apostolic team with Minister’s Fellowship International, and he has a deeply prophetic spirit and anointing. Steve shared the vital importance of the prophetic in our world today. He implored us to throw off spiritual apathy and ask God for more of the Holy Spirit’s activity in our lives.
The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
To have an anointed, life changing, life giving word from the heart and mind of the Spirit of God for a specific situation that will build people and establish them in the purposes of God. To bubble forth a word from God in prayer, utterance, song, counseling, witnessing, etc.
Now two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad, and the other named Medad, and the Spirit rested on them. They were among those registered, but they had not gone out to the tent, and so they prophesied in the camp. And a young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.” And Joshua the son of Nun, the assistant of Moses from his youth, said, “My lord Moses, stop them.” But Moses said to him, “Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord’s people were prophets, that the Lord would put his Spirit on them!” And Moses and the elders of Israel returned to the camp.
“The prophetic word of God declares the nature and wonder of God and makes it personal.”
“Our prayers don’t die. They fill cups in heaven and God decides when to pour them over.”
There is a prophetic Stream about the coming Holy Spirit
• Zechariah: it is by my Spirit
• Ezekiel: I will put my Spirit within you
• Jeremiah: I will write my word upon your hearts
• Isaiah: The Spirit of the Lord; the anointing to preach
• Joel: I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh
Jesus spoke about the Holy Spirit
• Luke 11:9-11 We can have more
• John 14:12-18 I am sending you a Helper
• John 16:7-15 You will have an advantage
“Those who trust and yield to God will do greater things.”
“God will transmit things to you that He’s hearing from Heaven.”
The resurrected Jesus:
• John 20:21-22 He Breathed upon them; Receive the Holy Spirit
• Luke 24:49 You will be clothed with power
• Acts 1:8 You will receive power
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
“We need an invasion of the Spirit of the Living God. You need to be asking for more of the Holy Spirit’s activity in your city. Pray for conviction and quit being apathetic.”
Better is the end of a thing than the beginning of it.
“We need to have a Biblical expectation that what has been done before will be done again in greater measure.”
“We need to take a militant mindset. We are meant to occupy this world until Christ comes again. We’re called to overcome, conquer, and storm the gates of hell.”
“The world we’re living in doesn’t need us to be like them. We need to be clothed with power, declaring the wonderful works of God, filled with the Spirit of the living God.”
1 Corinthians 14:1
Pursue love and desire spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophecy.
“You may be a voice that has life giving words from the heart and mind of God that will establish another person in the purposes of God in their lives.”
“Your words can have the force to break shackles in people.”
“Stop being a victim. You’re a new creation. You are called, chosen, and anointed to be a voice in Tacoma.”
Some apostolic direction from Paul
• 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 Desire to prophecy!!
• Edifies: it builds up
• Exhorts: it calls up
• Comforts: it heals up
7 Disciplines of a Prophetic people
- They have a devotional life.
- They pray in the Holy Spirit.
- They keep their conscience clean.
- They keep their relationships healthy.
- They maintain a spirit and voice of faith.
- They are available.
- They stay filled with the Holy Spirit.
- They stay submitted to spiritual authority.
“I give you my flesh. Lord, give me your Spirit.”
- How did Pastor Steve define the prophetic? What is the purpose of prophecy?
- Have you ever received a prophetic word that affected your walk with Christ? Share with the group.
- What is repentance? What role does repentance play in your life current day?
- Have you ever struggled with spiritual apathy? Are you struggling with apathy now? Get prayer from the group, asking for conviction and strengthening.
- Look at the 7 disciplines of a prophetic people that Steve shared. Do you need to commit yourself to one of these in greater measure?
- Read Acts 1 this week, meditating on Pentecost and the reality that the same Spirit can fill you with power today. Ask God to pour His Spirit on you and share your experience with a mentor this week.
- Look through the 7 disciplines of a prophetic people this week and determine where you are strong and where you are weak. Get prayer with a mentor this week in your weak areas.