This week, guest preacher Steve Williams joined us and continued in our series through the book of Acts. Pastor Steve shared the reality that the testimony of Jesus Christ is the Spirit of prophecy. Our God is a consuming fire, and we must allow Him to fill us in order to do His work. As God’s people, we are called to take the prophetic mantel into our spheres of influence. We must posture ourselves to receive the Lord’s anointing and to be empowered to carry it into a lost and broken world.
Acts 2:1-13 NKJV
2 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested[a] on each one of them.4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
Revelation 19:10 – The testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy!
To have an anointed life changing life-giving word from the heart and mind of the Spirit of God for a specific situation that will build people and establish them in the purposes of God.
To bubble forth a word from God in prayer, utterance, song, counseling, witnessing, etc.
Biblical History leading to Acts 2
- Numbers 11 – God’s people were complaining!!
- God’ solution:
- ‘I will come down”
- “I will take of the Spirit that is upon you and put it upon them”
- “they shall bear (lift up) the burden of the people”
- God came down, they all prophesied!!!
- Moses’ prayer: “Oh that all of God’s people were prophets and that God would put His Spirit upon them!!”
The prophets picked up on this prayer:
Then came Acts 2:
- They waited – with expectation, faith, hope, unity of heart, and purpose!!!
- A historic moment was upon them and within them!
- They were apprehended by God, not just to participate in an historic moment. They were to become history makers!!!
- God suddenly changed everything!!!
- John the Baptist said, “He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and FIRE!”
- Jesus said, “You will receive power!”
Five Distinctions of Empowered Prophetic People
- People of proper priorities (Acts 1:2)
- People of power (Acts 1:8)
- People of prayer (Acts 1:14, 2:1)
- People of passion (Acts 2:3)
- People of purpose (Acts 3:25)
- Prayers are living entities. Our prayers will outlive us!!
- We are under the influence of generations of prayers that have gone on before us!
- Do you lack vision for your life? How does the prophetic give us vision?
- How would your sphere of influence (your home, your workplace, your school) be affected if all believers within it were filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Which of the 5 distinctions of empowered prophetic people could you use more of in your walk with Jesus?
- What are you consumed by? Is it the Lord or the world (social media, the news, etc.)? Answer this question honestly before the Lord this week.
- Ask the Lord this week to ignite a passion in you to reach your sphere of influence through His Spirit this week.
- Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit? If not, humbly ask the Lord for a filling this week.