This week, Pastor Chris continued in our series through the book of Acts with a powerful word on being empowered for a reset. We’ve reached a point in Acts where the fear of the Lord was released on the people of God, ushering in a season of many signs and wonders. Each of us have reached a point of weariness in our attempts to live in our own strength. What we may need is a reset in the Spirit. Pastor Chris called on each of us to reset our hearts and recommit to the Holy Spirit’s all-powerful work in our hearts.
Acts 5:12–16 (ESV)
12 Now many signs and wonders were regularly done among the people by the hands of the apostles. And they were all together in Solomon’s Portico. 13 None of the rest dared join them, but the people held them in high esteem. 14 And more than ever believers were added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women, 15 so that they even carried out the sick into the streets and laid them on cots and mats, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them. 16 The people also gathered from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing the sick and those afflicted with unclean spirits, and they were all healed.
When the Holy Spirit goes to work, people are:
1. Loved – the most unlovely social outcasts find a place in the Kingdom of God.
2. Saved – mass salvation can and will break out when the Bride of Christ loves the unlovely well.
3. Healed – healing and deliverance can often go hand-in-hand.
4. Delivered – demonic oppression is real and freedom can be found by calling on the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:39 (NKJV)
39 For the promise is to you and to your children…”
John 7:37–39 (ESV)
37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
“For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your descendants and my blessing on your offspring” (Isa. 44:3).
4 Aspects of the Work of the Holy Spirit
1. The Holy Spirit Purifies – The Holy Spirit is likened unto fire. He sanctifies and refines our hearts. He shows us the areas that need cleansing, renewal and strengthening. He removes the impurity of our lives and creates us into the image of Jesus.
Luke 3:16 (ESV)
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
2. The Holy Spirit Reveals – The Holy Spirit will reveal things that we seek to hide. To live in full freedom, the hidden aspects of our hearts need to be fully exposed and laid at the feet of Jesus.
- He Gives Evidence of God’s Presence
1 Corinthians 14:25 (ESV)
25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.
- He Guides and Directs God’s People.
Galatians 5:16, 18 (ESV)
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
- He Manifests His Presence.
- He Gives Us Assurance.
- He Teaches and Illuminates.
- The Holy Spirit Unifies – Only the Holy Spirit can unify all people groups and generations. The Holy Spirit bears witness to His presence in each of us and ties us together supernaturally in the faith.
“And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
yes, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days
I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy.” (Acts 2:16–18)
4. The Holy Spirit Empowers
- He Gives Life.
- He Gives Power for Service.
- He Empowered Jesus.
- He empowers our areas of Ministry.
- He empowers us to use our Spiritual Gifts.
- He empowers our Prayer lives.
- He empowered us to Overcome.
Acts 5:40–42 (ESV)
40 and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 41 Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. 42 And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching that the Christ is Jesus.
Remember: Your Response to the Holy Spirit Matters
- What are some reasons followers of Jesus may need a reset?
- Pastor Chris said that the way we respond to the Holy Spirit matters. What are some ways we respond to the Spirit’s call? What are some reasons we choose not to respond?
- Pastor Chris said each of us are being led by something. What are you being led by right now? Is it the Holy Spirit or something else? Share with the group.
- What do you need the Holy Spirit to do in you: purify, reveal, unify, or empower? Share with the group and get specific prayer in this area today.
- Is there a relationship in your life where you need to ask for the Holy Spirit’s perspective rather than your own? Ask the Lord to give you His eyes for that person this week.
- Is there an area where the Lord might be asking you to take a step of obedience in so that you can experience breakthrough? Ask the Lord to reveal it this week.
- What do you need the Holy Spirit to do in you: purify, reveal, unify, or empower? Ask the Lord to do this in your heart this week.