Continuing our summer sermon series in the book of Ephesians: True Identity. Pastor Chris shared that the first 3 chapters of Ephesians are deeply theological (what we believe), the last 3 chapters are tactical (how we live). One essential truth (and purpose) reveals itself in the entire letter: A person who has their identity in Christ will overcome anything.
Being an overcomer is key to battling the forces of darkness working every day to erode your true identity. Satan (his name means accuser), is literally hell-bent on tarnishing your image. He became disgruntled with the image God made him, so he rebelled against his image-maker. His tactic is to always question God’s holy Word, disarming you from defending yourself against his lies. Knowing God’s Word is vital to knowing and living your identity.
On this foundation, here are 8 essential truths from Ephesians about our identity in Christ.
1) … you were chosen and made blameless
“4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.” Ephesians 1:4 (ESV)
“9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,” 2 Timothy 1:9 (ESV)
2) … you are adopted
“5 he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,” Ephesians 1:5 (ESV)
3) … you are forgiven…
“7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,” Ephesians 1:7 (ESV)
4) … you can know the will of God.
“9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ.” Ephesians 1:9 (ESV)
5) … you are reconciled.
“10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.” Ephesians 1:10 (ESV)
6) … you have an inheritance.
“11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,” Ephesians 1:11 (ESV)
7) … you have hope.
“12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.” Ephesians 1:12 (ESV)
8) … you have the Holy Spirit.
“13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,” Ephesians 1:13 (ESV)
Questions for Discussion:
- Our enemy is on the prowl. What evidence do you see of his tactics to disarm believers from knowing their true identity? How does knowing God’s Word play a role in this identity battle?
- Eph. 1:4 declares that as Christians we are chosen and blameless. What does being chosen mean to you? What does being blameless mean to you? (focus on the delight of this truth, not on the debate of the theology)
- Out of the 8 Identity Truths Chris led us in, select one that is remarkable to you. What is it about this truth, and the scripture(s) which support it, that appeals to you?