Pastor Chris continued in our healthy church sermon series, systematically walking through chapter two of 1 Corinthians. Chris shared the reality that each of us are either getting healthier in Christ or not. Often, we seek to work through our problems in the natural realm, but we need the continual power of the Holy Spirit to supernaturally produce health within us. How close of a friend are you to the Spirit of God? The measure that you are regularly surrendered to Him will determine the state of your spiritual health.
The Trinity Summarized
1. God is three persons.
2. Each person is fully God.
3. There is one God.
John 1:3 (ESV)
3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Genesis 1:2 (ESV)
And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
1. The Holy Spirit Orchestrates Conversion – the Holy Spirit leads a person to salvation.
1 Corinthians 2:1–5 (ESV)
1 And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
2. The Holy Spirit Reveals and Searches
1 Corinthians 2:6–10 (ESV)
6 Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. 7 But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”— 10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.
God’s plan is still hidden to unbelievers because they…
• Refuse to accept it.
• Choose to ignore it.
• Haven’t heard it.
Romans 8:27 (ESV)
27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
3. The Holy Spirit is God and Indwells Believers
1 Corinthians 2:11–13 (ESV)
11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
Spiritual discernment enables us to…
• Gain God’s perspective, make wise decisions in difficult circumstances.
• Recognize the activities of God’s Spirit.
• Distinguish the correct from incorrect use of Scripture.
• Identify and expose false teachers.
• Expose the lies of the enemy.
4. The Holy Spirit Gives Supernatural Discernment
1 Corinthians 2:14–16 (ESV)
14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
Romans 12:2 (ESV)
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- The Holy Spirit Orchestrates Conversion
- The Holy Spirit Reveals and Searches
- The Holy Spirt is God and Indwells Believers
- The Holy Spirit Gives Supernatural Discernment
- Pastor Chris said, “each of us are either getting healthier in Christ or less healthy.” Are you currently taking walks forward in spiritual health, or not?
- What does it look like when a believer is walking with the Holy Spirit? How do you know when you are personally walking in step with Him? How do you know when you aren’t?
- Paul demonstrates in 1 Corinthians 2:4-5 that we don’t need the wisdom of men and the natural world to preach the Gospel in power. Have you ever sought to share the Gospel with lofty speech alone?
- What is our inheritance as heirs with Christ? Do you live in light of this inheritance, or are you living in light of the natural world?
- Pastor Chris said, “we need to declare war on every thought that enters our minds that is contrary to the Word of God.” Are you winning or losing this war right now?
- Pastor Chris said, “you will die to the flesh as you start walking with the Spirit.” Are you struggling to die to your flesh? Pray with your mentor this week, calling on the Spirit to direct your steps. Determine to listen to Him, obeying His nudgings, and walking in step with Him.
- Pastor Chris said, “you’re only as free as your mind is.” How healthy is your thought life right now? The only way you will find freedom in your thought life is by making Jesus the Lord of your thoughts and surrendering to His will.