Luke 13:34 (ESV)
34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!
In honor of Motherhood, a noble and godly role, Pastor Chris joins wife Jena in sharing a Mother’s Day message for anyone who is a mom, has a mom, or desires to be a mom. Together, they highlight passages from scripture that demonstrate God’s design for how mothers care for others and keep themselves healthy in mind, body, and spirit. Chris and Jena emphasize a profound point in the power of motherhood – encouragement. How a mom speaks of her children carries the weight of heaven in bringing them security, confidence, and hope for the future. God is our Father, but in His wisdom, compassion, and strength, He created mothers to carry out his nurturing nature.
- Presence Over Perfection
11 He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11 (ESV)
8 Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8 (ESV)
- The Importance of Self-Care
16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16–17 (ESV)
- Encouragement: Your Word Are Powerful
24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:24–25 (ESV)
- What are some of the pressures in modern society on being a mother?
- How do you see God’s nature reflected in the role of motherhood?
- In your life, how has your mom made an impact? How did she shape you into who you are today?
- If you’re a mom, what request do you have for the group to build you up in your role? How can we pray for you as a mom?
- How is your relationship with your mom?
- Ask God what you can do to strengthen it or improve it? Start by praying blessings on your mom.
- If your mom is no longer with you, reflect on how she demonstrated the character of God in your family. If she didn’t, ask God to help you in forgiving her and help you see how He fills that void in your life.