On this beautiful Easter Sunday, Pastor Chris preached a powerful word on Christ’s miraculous rescue of us. Chris shared how the biggest questions we have about life are answered through God’s truth in His word. The world is searching for answers and hope in Earthly things. Before each of us knew Christ, we sought answers outside of Christ. Chris shared how Jesus is the only answer to every question we have, and how His death and resurrection are God’s ultimate rescue plan for each one of us.
Matthew 28:1–10 (ESV)
1 Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. 2 And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. 4 And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men. 5 But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him. See, I have told you.” 8 So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.”
Life’s Biggest Questions:
- Where did we come from? We came from God, and He made us in His image, set apart for Him. There is something inside of each human being that longs for more than this world offers.
Genesis 1:27 (ESV)
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
2. Why did things go so wrong? Sin entered the world when our forefathers rebelled against God. When this happened, the image of God in us became broken. All of mankind is desperately looking for a way to be made whole again.
Genesis 3:6 (ESV)
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
Romans 6:16 (ESV)
Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?
Romans 6:23 (ESV)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. What will put things right? Only Jesus can make us whole again.It is not enough to just know about Jesus. We must place our trust in Him as our Savior and Lord.
1 John 3:14 (ESV)
14 We know that we have passed out of death into life….
4. How can I be put right? We can be made whole again by placing our faith and trust in Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 2:8 (ESV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
Marks of the Miraculous Rescue:
- Renewed Hope
1 Peter 1:3 (ESV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
2. God’s Mercy & Grace
A.W. Tozer: “Nothing can prevent God from being merciful because it is His very nature, He was in fact a God of mercy before man came on the scene!”
3. God’s Miraculous Love
Romans 5:8 (ESV)
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
4. God’s Miraculous Provision
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
5. Receive Christ Personally
Jeremiah 31:34: “I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more!”
Psalm 103:12: “As far as the East from the West.”
1. Pastor Chris used the illustration of a broken vase to illustrate the human life. What caused the vase to break in the first place?
2. Continuing in his illustration, Chris continued to break the cracked vase. What were some of the examples he gave that only created more brokenness?
3. What are some of the ways we try to put ourselves back together?
4. Have you ever tried to put yourself together before coming to Jesus? Pastor Chris said we don’t have to do this. How are we meant to come before Him?
5. Take time this week to think about what Jesus rescued you from before you were saved. Spend time in the secret place with Him, thanking Him and praising Him for his miraculous rescue!
6. Pastor Chris read a quote that said, “Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship?” Are you worshipping anything other than Jesus today? Acknowledge this, bring it to the feet of Jesus, and choose to worship Jesus alone.
7. Have you been looking for wholeness in things of this world? Are you longing for more than what this world is offering you? Choose today to commit or recommit your life to the Lord. If you made this decision today, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reach out to help walk you through your next steps with Jesus!