“Where there is no vision [no revelation of God and His word], the people are unrestrained; But happy and blessed is he who keeps the law [of God].” Proverbs 29:18 (AMP)
Pastor Chris began this message on vision with a plant in a pot. He said this type (Daphne) needs room to grow, to be planted in a place where its roots grow deep, its branches spread wide and it grows healthy and strong. If left in the pot, it will be stunted and die.
Chris shared how vision helps us have a long-term mindset. We can see the direction we need to go – not simply the next step, but the goal. We need an individual vision, but see how it comes alive in the corporate vision of the church body. To see the Vision requires faith (ability to see what God sees) and to find it fulfilled requires action (commit to carry out the plan God has shown us).
“1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1 (ESV)
City Central Vision: Adore God, Become Like Jesus, Contend for the Kingdom
3 Biblical Ways to Plant Yourself in the Vision of the Lord
- Plant Yourself to Meet with Jesus – ADORE
Just because the world is raging back and forth, doesn’t mean Jesus’ followers should be. We need reminding what God says is our reason for why we are here and what we are to do.
Worship of the Lord – people who worship are thankful and express it in both lifestyle and song
See: Colossians 3:15–16, Romans 12:1
- Plant Yourself to be Equipped and Developed – BECOME
Knowing that God wants to train you gives you an intentional perspective on time with Him. Get training to see God’s design in Marriage, Parenting, Working, Ministry, and more. This is how we pierce through the fog of confusion that life can settle over us.
Beware, however, there is a point of saturation, filled up in God. Like a sponge after soaking in water, we need to be wrung out. Our life is not our own, but meant to be spent on behalf of others.
We are invested in by God to be investing in others. This is manifest by the imparting of Spiritual Gifts by His Spirit.
Share your Spiritual Gifts – first know them, second use them.
3 Blessings of Using your Gifts:
- Amazing Joy – fulfillment, feeling alive
- Healthy Accountability – without it, we are alone and will sink
- Accelerated Spiritual Growth – living in our gifts (being planted) helps us grow healthy, and strong without being stagnant
See: 1 Corinthians 14:26, 1 Corinthians 14:3–4
- Plant Yourself in the Place of Prayer – CONTEND
As a prayerful person, great power shapes and shifts our culture.
Chris challenged us:
- Make Adore, Become, Contend your personal vision for your life
- Take a step – leap or baby step – you will grow stronger, healthier, and joyful
In the City Central body there are four broad categories of people: Visitor, Attender, Member, and Replicator. Whichever stage you are in our church family, seek to carry-out God’s vision for the church.
We have opportunities for training and equipping at each stage. As you think about your level of involvement, you might consider putting down roots. We’ve committed to God’s vision for bringing gospel freedom to Tacoma. Families across the church are sacrificially giving to help us take territory physically and spiritually for God. Our building fund is one way to act on the vision, ask God if that’s a way that you need to take a step – one-time, weekly, or monthly.
- When you think of God’s Vision, what comes to mind?
- What are some ways that believer can put their faith into action? Big steps? Baby steps?
- How do see ways that God has called City Central to Tacoma?
Why has God called you to City Central?
- What do you feel most equipped to do for God?
What areas do you feel you might need more training?
- Ask God for a fresh revelation of His vision for your life in light of His vision for the church.
- As you receive from Him through prayer and scripture, commit to taking a step – or a leap – to find fulfillment in putting your faith into action!